Monday, August 3, 2020

A Birthday Gift

I have a friend who has a birthday in a few days. I wanted to have a gift for her when we have lunch together on Friday so I went looking on Pinterest for some ideas.  I found a picture of these small fabric trays. After deciding what I would make and the fabric I was going to use, I remembered that I had a piece of the Pellon Flex Foam 1 Sided Fusible Stabilizer that I had purchased some time ago.  I had watched some videos on how to use it and thought that this might be a good project to try it on. I had some 10 inch squares that I thought would work well with what I wanted to make. 

 The fabric had been chosen and the Flex Foam fused to the back side of the fabric that I wanted to be the inside lining -- the fabric that could be seen the most. After laying the outside  square on top of the lining piece, I squared up the block and sewed around the whole square leaving an opening so that it could be turned. As I began turning the piece inside out I realized that I had turned the one piece of fabric the wrong way. There was no way I was going to try ripping out the stitching so I just decided that was the way it was going to stay and that it would be mine to keep. I went ahead and finished it. Later I was able to fill it with 2 1/2 inch half square triangles. Four stacks fit perfectly.





So it was then time to make the second one that I would use for the birthday gift. This time I got the fabric turned the correct way.



This afternoon I was able to make a birthday card for Linda. I think that this was the first card that I have made in about a year. 





I pray that all are safe and managing these difficult days well.



1 comment:

  1. Hello Dianne,
    I wanted to see a card you made back in March 2019 and continued to look at everything you have done since. Beautiful work, both your cards and your quilts. I also do both but not even close to what you manage to do. We are in winter here in Australia and it has been a cold one even where I live which is near Queensland. Spring is coming next month and I want to make some Christmas tree skirts for our local refugee support group. Hopefully they will be able to have their market stall in the near future. Thank you for the beautiful pictures, I have really enjoyed them on this cold rainy night, Stay safe.
    Gillian

    ReplyDelete