Friday, October 18, 2019

"Scrappy" Is Fun

This past week, I finished up two quilts. I really love the process of making the three pieces -- top, batting and backing, feel like one piece. It goes from three separate pieces to one united unit. Both of these quilts were made with squares cut from scraps and leftover fabrics from other projects.

This first quilt was made from a pattern from Pat Sloan's website "I Love To Make Quilts". I was introduced to this web site about a year ago at the January Quilt Retreat hosted by the Pieces and patches Quilt Guild. I have just started my third year as a member. This was one of the free patterns that Pat made available this past summer. This quilt is called "Oh My Stars". Here is the link to this pattern. I used 5-inch squares that I had cut plus some extra fabric for the stars and border. You could also use two charm packs. The quilt measures 41" by 50". Just right for a small child's quilt.



For the quilting, I used a "wiggle" stitch that is on my sewing machine. I am not sure of the correct name of the stitch, but this is what I have seen others call the stitch, especially on Pinterest. It is a very forgiving stitch and one that I have really learned to enjoy using.



This is the second quilt that I finished last night.  It was made from two different blocks. The first was a block made using sixteen 2 1/2-inch squares. The second is called an X-block. This block was made with four 4 1/2" squares that have two 2 1/2" squares added to opposite corners. When sewn together, the four small blocks make one large X-block. Each block finishes to 8-inches. The over all measurement for the quilt is 40" x 56". This quilt reminds me of ones that my grandmother made.




No comments:

Post a Comment