Tuesday, March 28, 2017

New Toys Versus Old Toys

I just received a shipment from Stampin' Up last week. One item in the shipment was the Flourish Thinlets. I love the dainty look of these dies. I started out to see what the dies looked like. I found a small strip of Wild Wasabi card stock and cut the leaves. I ended up getting at least five cuts from that one piece of paper. Secondly, I wanted to see what the little decorative border looked like. I found a small piece of Strawberry Slush paper that the die would fit on. Perfect. I looked at the die cuts. Now, what kind of card could I make using what I had just cut?

 Here is the card I came up with. The flower is from the stamp set called "Secret Garden". It was stamped on Strawberry Slush card stock and heat embossed using white detailed embossing powder. The sentiment was from the set called "Watercolor Trio". To add  some dimension to the flower, I added a little rose red ink at the base of each petal using a blender pen.



I then decided that I wanted to use this card in an upcoming class at the end of April. I made a second card because I wanted to show that the card could be made without the dies. I have been made aware in the past months that not everyone is able to purchase new stamp sets with coordinating dies all the time. So, my question was, "Can I make this card using only stamps?" I used the greenery stamp from the set "Kinda Eclectic", stamped it on the white card stock using Pear Pizzazz ink and then embossed the piece.The flower was from the "Secret Garden" stamp set. I stamped it on white card stock with Primrose Petal ink. (Don't have the Strawberry Slush ink pad.) It was  stamped again on Strawberry Slush card stock because I wanted to use just the center part for an accent piece. Even though I have the die, I cut these pieces out by hand. Any  flower stamp would have worked on this card. I stamped the sentiment on a piece of scrap card stock, made it into a banner and sponged the edges with the Primrose Petal ink to give it some definition.


It's fun to have new toys, but beautiful cards can be created with things already in our craft rooms.


1 comment: